On Nov. 13, six brave CARPC Commissioners voted against bringing Fitchburg's Northeast Neighborhood into the Urban Service Area. They were Commissioners Ball, Golden, Hampton, McKeever, Minihan and Terrell. We applaud them for their courage and their forward-looking attitudes! Thanks also to the thousands of people who have signed petitions, contacted commissioners, attended meetings, donated their time or money, and helped us to organize.
But 90 people registered against Fitchburg's North Stoner Prairie Neighborhood amendment, and 12 signed up to speak against it, so we know that at least that many registered against the NEN. The NEN hearing was opened at 11:10 p.m., then immediately continued 'til Oct. 9.
Here's what you can do:
1. Watch our 20-min. video, "Waubesa Wetlands in Danger," starring Dr. Cal DeWitt, Dr. Joy Zedler, and Tracy Hames, and shot in the wetlands in July, at www.westwaubesa.org, and then share it via Facebook, Twitter, email or telephone. Since our last newsletter on Sept 10, we've gone from 140 views to 210 views. Help us reach 300! You can follow us on Twitter @westwaubesa.
2. If you haven't written yet, please write to the CARPC Commissioners at allcommissioners@CapitalAreaRPC.org regarding the NEN proposal.Click HERE for the latest WWPC newsletter, which has helpful hints on how to write to and testify before the CARPC
3. Put Oct. 9 on your calendar, and come to the CARPC meeting at 7 p.m., location to be announced. (This time we won't have to sit through 2 other hearings first!). Register in opposition to the Northeast Neighborhood amendment if you didn't already do so on Sept. 11.
Spencer Black publishes opinion piece in The Capital Times against developing Fitchburg's "Northeast Neighborhood"
- June 2014
- Letter from Wetland Scientist Dr. Joy Zedler (10-Jun-14 09:15)
- January 2014
- November 2013
- November 2013 Newsletter (20-Nov-13 10:17)
- October 2013
- Fall 2013 Brochure (29-Oct-13 23:54)
- UW Madison Professor Cal DeWitt on the drawbacks to developing the Northeast Neighborhood (08-Oct-13 11:03)
- February 2013
- January 2008
- Important new groundwater research available on Fitchburg website (18-Jan-08 15:46)
- August 2007
- New forum online for discussing the future of Fitchburg (31-Aug-07 21:37)
- May 2007
- May 2007 Newsletter (14-May-07 23:40)
- April 2007